1. Don’t ask questions you’re not prepared to hear the answer to.
2. If you have to talk yourself into something, don’t do it, whether it’s buying a sweater or dating a guy who only seems right on paper.
3. You can be a nurturing caregiver and also live your own life.
4. Boyfriends come and go. Friendships are forever—don’t lose one over a boy.
5. Don’t worry about being popular. The popular kids usually don’t end up being the Bill Gates’ of the world.
6. You’ll know if someone loves you if they want to hear about your day, even if it was boring.
7. Ask repair people questions: You’re bound to learn something.
8. Know how to give a sincere, “I am here for you” hug.
9. The person you marry should be your friend, but it definitely also matters if you think he’s cute.
10. Hair grows back.
11. If you’re constantly wondering if someone is actually your friend, chances are that she’s not.
12. Don’t give your love away too easily—it should be earned, respected, and cherished.
13. Lies are hard to keep track of. Tell the truth, if only for your own sanity.
14. Waxing hurts more than shaving, but it’s better in the long run.
15. How to make the best scrambled eggs, chocolate chip cookies, and lasagna. Life is more fun with a crowd of friends in your kitchen.
16. You should always stop and appreciate a sunset and a full moon.
17. Think about what you’d normally ask a guy to do, then learn to do it yourself.
18. No matter how defeated you may feel, hold your head up high and remain secure in yourself. Confidence, confidence, confidence.
19. Being the nice, smart friend is better than being the cool, beautiful friend.
20. Loving yourself for you (and all of your flaws) is the prerequisite to any successful relationship, be it friends, a significant other, your own children, or at work.
21. That you love her no matter what.